Monday, August 11, 2008

Week O' Events!

My Mom, Nephew, and Neise came into town this last week, and sadly left this afternoon. We had such a blast with them being here. Little Lance was in Heaven! We went to the Zoo, Dino Museum, Farm Country, BYU Football practice, and just had a great time. The first night everyone was here little Lance got the stomach flu...past it on to Bailey, who past it to my Mom, who past it to Lance, who past it on to Keenan, so Rylie and I are just ticking timebombs waiting to go off...yuck! Sorry guys for that whole part of the trip :( On Saturday night Lance surprised me and took me up to a resort in Midvale called Zermatt to get away for a night and get messages...great place! My Mom stayed with the kids, and it was sooo nice to know they were in good hands! I missed the kids, and I honestly talked about them the whole time...they're my life! Thank you sooo very much Mom, we miss you guys already!

BYU started their two-a-days, and we've been able to catch a few of their practices. Dallas has moved to center, and is doing an amazing job! It looks like he's played at the position forever, and it's only been a week! There was an article in the paper about him, and turning to his Dad and Brother (Lance) for help. I thought it was so cool, and thought I would share. Matt is doing a fantastic job as well. We are so stoked for the season to start, and can't tell you how excited we are to watch the boys! GO BYU!

Dallas Reynolds can look to father, brother for help in learning center position
Darnell Dickson - Daily Herald | Thursday, August 7, 2008, 2:14 am
BYU all-conference tackle Dallas Reynolds is being asked to make a position change, and while it's up to offensive line coach Mark Weber to make the transition go smoothly, it doesn't hurt that Reynolds has a couple of aces in the hole.

With projected starting center Tom Sorensen out for 4-to-6 weeks with a shoulder injury, Reynolds is taking a crash course in a position that is called the quarterback of the offensive line. He's turned to his father -- BYU assistant head coach Lance Reynolds, who played offensive line for BYU in the 70s -- and older brother Lance Jr. -- who started for the Cougars at center in 2004 and 2005 -- for support.

"We talked a little last night," Dallas Reynolds said, "and he (Lance Jr.) told me how he went through the progression. It helps out having an older brother who played as a center, telling me how he did it and got it down. I've also been able to sit and watch film with my dad, so I'm getting help from all over the place."

Dallas Reynolds actually began his career at BYU as a guard, earning a starting role as a returned missionary freshman in 2005. He cross-trained at center during the 2006 season while playing tackle, so he's learned all the positions on the offensive line during his career.

"You know, it's coming fast," Dallas said. "It feels like I'm moving along pretty fast, trying to get things down, trying to get the reads right and direct traffic a little bit. That part has been kind of rushed with information, but it's been fun and a challenge.

"Coach Weber teaches us a lot about the general concept of each play. Since he's been here, my understanding of the game and the offense has grown."

While Lance Sr. coaches running backs, he understands the differences between tackle and center on the offensive line.

"At left tackle, you're alone a lot of the time," he said. "You're defending the edge and there's not as much communication. When you move to the middle, there's a lot more communication, a lot more going on. There's a lot of bodies there on the inside and things happen quickly. You're defending yourself more on a side-to-side plane than a forward-to-backward plane."

Dallas' projected move provides an opportunity for someone at left tackle, and that just happens to be younger brother Matt, a talented redshirt freshman. Matt played at guard most of spring while returning starter Travis Bright recovered from a broken leg suffered in the Las Vegas Bowl. Now Matt's back at left tackle, the position he started at for three years at Timpview High.

"I've been trying to help him out because he's in kind of a mad rush to learn, too," Dallas said. "I'm confident in him. He's doing a good job and making a lot of progress."

Lance Sr. said he doesn't think Dallas' move will have any effect as far as NFL scouts are concerned. And Dallas said he just wanted to do whatever helps out the team the most.

"I'm not one that likes to take any personal credit," he said. "I'll take that second over whatever is best for the team. I'll do whatever the team needs, and that's what they need now."

1 comment:

W said...

I love your family picture. You all look so good. I just wanted to tell you that Micah says Dallas is doing great, since he's working his Coach Weber. We so glad the Reynold's boys are such great athletes.